Another week, another page added to my webcomic. Coloring seems to be going well, so far. Of course I’m only six pages in, so there’s plenty of time to screw it all up. Ha!
It’s been a productive week for The Guardian Elite, I finished pencils on the latest page and it’s ready for inking. I’ve got quite the heavy hand in the penciling phase. Inking is where I hope to be a bit more subtle in the rendering. Sorry to say the final results won’t be seen for a few months, I’ve gotta keep ahead of the posting schedule. Each page takes way too long, so I’m sure to hit the content wall pretty soon. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it.
This project started as a way to improve my digital drawing skills. In that regard, I think it has helped tremendously. The speed in which I generate pages has vastly improved. I’ve got a pipeline that works for me now. My files have a level of organization that was lacking in the first 5 or 6 pages. I’ve also learned to really dig Manga Studio. It’s like Photoshop designed specifically for making comics and it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and you don’t have to RENT the software. Two things that stand out right away are the incredibly natural pencil tools and the inking brushes. My god, the inking! You’d have to try it out for yourself to see what I’m talking about. Adobe could learn a few things from Celsys about how to implement natural brushes.
The last couple pages I’ve decided to ink on bristol board with Micron and Copic Multiliner pens. I do the pencils in Manga Studio, print blue line onto 11×17 bristol, ink, and then scan back into the computer. I then use photoshop to clean up and fix nagging mistakes. I’ll add the panel boarders, speech bubbles, zip-a-tone, and color. Ah, life as an artist in the 21st century.
I have the feeling I’m repeating some of my rambling from the previous post, so I’ll end it here. Until next time, good night and good luck!