Lets get the cool Bonermaker puppet animations out of the way. This puppet’s been sitting in a box for a couple years and suffers from missing hands! After the first animation test, I decided to fix him up with a couple of new mitts. I’m starting to get the hang of fixing these damn wire armatures. This blog post covers about a week and a half of work.
Meanwhile I’ve been working on the Krampus head. Had a plan, executed the plan, and then had to redo it all when that original plan failed. Jaw wires broke, teeth fell out, ear rigs broke, all a friggin’ disaster. The basic sculpt seems to have survived, so that’s good.
Adding the neck wire posed some problems. I’d hollowed out the skull so it would air dry quicker, which meant I couldn’t just epoxy the armature to the head. There’d be too much play. So I filled up the space with epoxy putty. It’s great stuff because once the two parts are mixed you only have 5 minutes of work time. I crammed the hole full of putty, stuck in the wire, and sealed it all up. Worked out great! Since I made the neck out of 3 wires, I shouldn’t have problems with breakage.
Here you see my original plan for the teeth and the wiring of the jaw. Little PaperClay teeth are hot glued to the head and jaw. Cool thing about the hot melt glue is that it now looks like the teeth are embedded in gums! The eyes are metallic beads Paperclayed into the sockets. They really catch the light beautifully.
When I thought things were going well, I started painting the head. Simple Liquitex Basics acrylic paint. Half way through, the double jaw wires broke, and while I was drilling a new hole for the thicker gauge wire, the friggin’ teeth fell off. Instead of waiting a couple hours for new PaperClay teeth, I used epoxy putty. Five minutes and I had a new set of pointy teeth.
I seemed to have slacked in my documenting duties as I was working out how to get fur attached to the head. The one example here is the piece I glued to the jaw. It’s notched so it will wrap around and fold under the jaw. This is the basic technique I came up with for the head. The top part was a wedge shape with notches cut out so the horns had room. I had additional, notches on the sides to allow fur to wrap down the back of the skull without creasing. The fur was mounted with Scotch Super77 multi-purpose adhesive. Same as what I used for attaching the foam.
Now on to the the Krampus costume. I need him to wear a red Santa suit/St. Nicholas robe. Or maybe I’ll do a quick animation test with the puppet. I’ve been dicking around long enough! Of course this new Xbox game may put a serious dent in my progress…