Stop Motion Film Progress Part 1

20121003-224320.jpg
So, the Krampus puppet is making progress. Here he is with the fur all stitched together. Not too bad for never having made a mini fur suit before. It all came together rather easily.

20121003-224936.jpg
Not a whole lot of materials for the build up phase. Fake fur and cushion foam from Joann Fabrics, needle and thread, curved scissors and spray adhesive.

20121003-225454.jpg
I cut strips of foam the length of the limbs and then split those in half, so the wire could be sandwiched in between them. I then sprayed adhesive on the foam and stuck it ever so carefully on the armature. I love the instructions on the Super 77 adhesive “make bond while adhesive is AGGRESSIVELY tacky.” There’s a joke in there somewhere.

20121003-230446.jpg
This is where I start shaping the foam a bit. The curved scissors work better for trimming and shaping the foam than regular scissors.

20121003-230641.jpg

20121003-230658.jpg

20121003-230709.jpg
I had no clue how to apply the fur to the puppet. I was thinking I could cut strips and use the spray adhesive to attach it to the foam, but that left no room for error. One shot and it would either work or not. There is no precision with spray adhesive. Its very messy and AGGRESSIVELY TACKY! There’s no undo in the real world, so I decided to try a less destructive approach. Sewing it piece by piece with needle and thread! Miraculously, my fat fingers that can’t type out a decent text message on an iPhone are nimble enough to sew! Thankfully the fur hides a lot of my bad stitching. Sometimes just winging it works.

20121003-231814.jpg

20121003-231838.jpg
The leg fur, as with the arms, are cut with a bit of a taper, so they thin out near the cloven hooves. The body fur was cut like a tunic and sewed in the sides. The crotch was cut like a diaper Nd then sewed to the torso fur. I then went in and sewed the gaps between the legs and the crotch. All told, the fur took a couple hours. At this point the fur needs to be trimmed and shaped. One thing I didn’t do was make sure the fur grain ran the same way. It runs up one leg and down the other. Oh well, lesson learned for the next time.

Next step is building up the hands. No clue what I’m going to do for that. Probably latex buildup with some trimmed fur glued to the back of the hands. Another case of don’t fuck it up, there’s no going back. If you don’t see a part 2 to this series, it means I screwed up, had a tantrum, set fire to the house, and am on the run from the law. I have issues…

Advertisements

About heartajack

I'm a graphic designer and occasional filmmaker that recently discovered the awesomeness that is the Can-Am Spyder Roadster. In recent years I've become obsessed with food and learning how to prepare it. I make the best damn ribs...EVER.
This entry was posted in Film and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Stop Motion Film Progress Part 1

  1. eddycameron says:

    This whole process fascinates me. Many, many moons ago our first VHS camcorder had a stop motion feature (which now that I know how it worked mechanically, must have been hard on the equipment) and my brother and I animated a small Lego set…I wonder if that still exists. Thank you for documenting this process.

    • heartajack says:

      I used to have a VHS camcorder on the early 90s that had the same feature, except it didn’t really capture a single frame, more like a 1/2 second. Didn’t give me great results. For this project I’m using a Canon 60D and Dragonframe software. A cool setup, actually.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s